As students at Hempstead High School prepare for the upcoming Algebra I, Biology, U.S. History, English III and Algebra II STAAR tests, it is extremely important that both parents and students know ahead of time what will and will not be allowed on testing days.
- STAAR tests will be administered as follows:
- Monday, May 6 – Algebra I STAAR
- Tuesday, May 7 – Biology STAAR
- Wednesday, May 8 – U.S. History STAAR
- Thursday, May 9 – Make-up STAAR tests
- Tuesday, May 14 – English III STAAR
- Wednesday, May 15 – Algebra II STAAR
- Thursday, May 16 – Make-up STAAR tests
- Student attendance on testing days is extremely important.
- Testing will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. each day. Students who would like to eat a free breakfast prior to testing must arrive in the cafeteria no later than 7:30 a.m. and be prepared to present their student ID.
- The school will be closed to visitors on testing days. Therefore students will not be allowed to have lunch delivered due to changes in lunch schedules on those days.
- Using cell phones during testing is a violation of state testing regulations. Therefore, students will not be allowed access to their cell phones until all testing is completed and all testing materials have been turned in to the campus testing coordinator. Students will be held accountable and disciplined accordingly if they are found to be in violation of the cell phone policy. A copy of the Cell Phone Oath is available for review at the front office.
- No snacks or drinks will be provided or allowed during testing.
- Testers will have 4 hours to complete each of the tests (Algebra I, Biology, U.S. History, and Algebra II) and 5 hours to complete each of the tests (English I & English II)
- There will be late arrival for non-testers on May 6, 7, 8, 14 & 15. Non-testers are to report directly to the auditorium at 11:25 a.m. on testing days. It is EXTREMELY important that ALL non-testors arrive at 11:25 a.m., report to the auditorium and sign in. Those students who do not have classes after 6th period will be allowed to sign in and leave. Any student who does not sign in on testing days will be counted absent which could affect thier final exam exemptions. No Hempstead ISD transportation will be provided for late arrival for non-testers. Bus riders who are not able to provide private transportation should report to the auditorium at 7:45 a.m. These students will remain in the auditorium until release for lunch.
- No late arrivals on May 9 or 16. All students should be in attendance for a regular school day. Make-up tests will be administered to those students who missed the STAAR tests on May 9 & 16. All other students will attend their regular scheduled classes. Make-up tests will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m.
HHS teachers offer morning and/or afternoon tutorials on Monday – Thursday and after lunch from 12:33 – 1:03 p.m. Please encourage students to make arrangements with their teachers to come early, stay late, or attend After Lunch Tutorials in order to receive the assistance they need to help them perform well on the STAAR tests. It is extremely important that students are well rested on testing days. Parent cooperation and assistance during testing is greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions, please contact the school office at 979-826-3331.
Clink on link for Parent Letter – English & Spanish